Thursday, April 1, 2021

failed haiku, 2021

The Pink Ribbon 


Autumn’s on its last gasp, leaves already half-buried in the wet ground. They cling to my shoes in clumps, slowing each early morning step.


quiet path I trip over my shadow 


The mist refuses to lift, so, when I reach the lake there is only the sound of lapping waves and close up, the unfurling lotuses at its edges. I sit on an empty bench and listen to submerged birdsong. 

 

transience

the wet pebbles

under my feet 


Dawn is breaking. I close my eyes and let my body float; the sunrays touch my breast; its warmth lifts me above the clouds. In such moments, before I fall, sometimes I glimpse the divine.


calm wind my steady heartbeat  


I am calm as I walk back. It seems all my worries disappear : the diagnosis, the surgery, all of it.

And there is only the light. 

 

 

half-opened window

composing a new song

the robin and I




-----------------------


Betrayal

ring of fire
I stand my ground
without you

the icy breeze
between us


perseids
all those narratives
I hold back

counting
the days till
far apart


cul-de-sac
my breaking point

rising fever
all photos turned
into ashes


Hifsa Ashraf & Sherry Grant

-------

Chinese Translation 


背叛

作者:伊芙莎·阿許拉芙(巴基斯坦)+ 火の鳥(紐西蘭 )

中文翻譯:火の鳥

猛烈的火圈
我堅持我的立場
毋需靠你

我倆之間的
冰凍三尺

流星雨
我對我的故事
三緘其口

倒數計時
直到我們相互
遠離的那一天

無路可逃
我忍受不了

熱度上升
所有照片都
燒成灰燼


Failed Haiku, Issue 71, November 2021

-------------------------------

dust devils in between the white flags border fence the shadows of veils democracy day the stampede of narratives smoke and ashes settling down the political differences

Failed Haiku, Issue 70

---------

Back to home

crossing boundary
the lingering smell
of desi roti

earthen pot
welling up stars in her eyes


nightingale songs
pull me towards
the old haveli

again clambering
over quiet walls
a forgotten prayer


concrete courtyard
imprints of small feet

passing breeze
flecks of blossoms
on my shawl



Hifsa Ashraf & Richa Sharma


---------

Heal Thyself


coming home
the family gate still creaks
goodbye

moths flicker
around my silver hair


genealogy
tracing a path into
inner space

moondust
chiselling out
my narrative of being


lost on the beaten track
out of my old self

mindfulness
finding my place
deep within



John Hawkhead & Hifsa Ashraf

failed haiku, Volume 6, Issue 69

----------

Eid Stories

Eid moon sighting
all we become
the howling wolves

Eid moon—
aligning my smile
with its light

Eid prayer—
in rows and columns
bowing heads

pandemic year’s Eid
greeting each other
with masked faces

Eid festivity...
a traditional Pakistani meal
with new flavours

Eid gown
in every fold
the galaxy of stars

palm henna tattoo
colouring
my life line

Eid day rain
in a teen girl’s hands
the jingling bangles

mom’s Eid party
the lingering aroma
of kebabs and tikka

Eid dinner...
all we discussed
the next Eid plans

failed haiku A Journal of English Senryu Volume 6, Issue 68

---------------------------------------



quiet day

 

 

one after another

daffodil’s petals

 

 

under his feet

her innocence

 

 

crumpled

 

----------------

acid rain

 

 

uprooting

her feelings  

 

 

the jasmine buds

without fragrance

 

 

forced marriage

 

-----------------

torrential rain

 

 

washes away 

her story

 

 

that is written

on the wall

 

 

with charcoal

 

---------------

 water tub

 

 

she makes

soap bubbles

 

 

with her small hands

to catch a glimpse

 

 

of her fragile aura

 

------------------

 

her voice

 

 

deepens

the folk songs

 

 

she sings

all alone

 

 

for her doll bride

 

----------------

 

her cupped hands

 

 

on the wedding day

after a long silence

 

 

she mumbles

her deepest wish

 

 

to fly like a sparrow

 

failed haiku A Journal of English Senryu Volume 6, Issue 67

----------------

power outage 
unmasking 
his real face 

beyond 
the pandemic blues 
Eid moon 

plumes of smoke 
around the evening sun 
Al-Aqsa mosque


Failed Haiku Issue 66 'Back from the Dead'

-------------
rusty shovel… 
the burden of Earth 
on his shoulders night shift 
walks him home 
the waning moon deep furrows— 
the seven decades 
of his life as a farmer
  shoe shiner 
dirt of the city 
on his face

failed haiku, Volume 6, Issue 65

--------

mammogram—
I encounter
more shadows


before and after
my self-isolation
flickering fireflies


office email…
the Eid greeting card
in black and white


midsummer rain
striking the front gate
mom's memory


perceived to be a Muslim
he avoids itching his beard
on the night train


self-isolation
the rain and I
falling more

failed haiku, issue 64, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment